Tengen Uzui is a former Demon Slayer, and the former Sound Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps.
He retired after losing a hand an a eye agaisnt the Upper Moon Six, Gyutaro.
Tengen is a very tall, wide-set man of a bulky, muscular build with lightly-tanned skin. His hair is white and of uneven length, the longest strands reaching his shoulders, and is styled with three more notable, shorter clumps arching up to fall as bangs between his eyes and on either side of his face. He has quite thin, maroon eyes that appear to slant inwards, each with one long eyelash flowing to the far side of his face.
During his days serving Demon Slayer Corps, Tengen wears a sleeveless and dark turquoise version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform, along with a wrap of burgundy cloth around his calves where his hakama pants tuck in, and white-strapped sandals. He also wears two thick, golden rings around his upper arms and what appear to be a pair of finger-less blue gloves, secured around his middle finger with a band of white and his wrists with another set of thinner gold rings, this time with two on each side. As well as this, Tengen sports a white head-wrap that covers his hair, leaving only a thin ponytail visible to fall behind his head from between its layers, which is adorned with a large headband of pale gray that's decorated by six light pink gemstones, three large and arranged in a line, and three small and arranged in a triangle to the far left. A chain of smaller, pale blue gemstones hangs from each side of this headdress, framing his face, and he also wears what looks to be red eye make-up around his left eye, consisting of alternating large and small dots that run inwards, towards his eye.
After his retirement from the Demon Slayer Corps due to the injuries his sustained during his fight with one of the Upper Moon Six Demons, Gyutaro, Tengen changes his appearance to coordinate the loss of his left eye and hand. He now wears a long, patterned yukata and a black haori, and replaces his old head-wrap with a dark eye patch adorned with what look to be the remaining gemstones left over from his old headdress, leaving his hair to fall loosely past his shoulders.
Tengen is a very eccentric person, always wanting to complete actions "flamboyantly." Although he has displayed an uncaring and forceful attitude towards some people—he gets excited imagining how "flamboyant" it would be if Tanjiro Kamado's blood vessels exploded, and tries to forcefully haul Aoi Kanzaki off to the Entertainment District with him so she can unwillingly help him with a dangerous mission—he also has a caring side that is mainly only shown towards his most treasured ones, most notably his three wives, Makio, Suma, and Hinatsuru. He also shows a somewhat nicer side towards Tanjiro after their mission, and starts to accept him more and more as the series goes on.
Despite being a shinobi that has traditionally valued completing the mission over all else, Tengen has rejected that ideology after seeing its effect on his family. Now, he believes that his subordinates, whether they be his wives or the Demon Slayers under his command, should value their lives, and the lives of innocents, over their missions or his own.
Abilities and Skills: Edit
As a Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps, Tengen is a very powerful swordsman. He has displayed numerous abilities that allow him to easily overpower Demons in a fight and even allow him to battle on par against the Upper Moons of the Twelve Demon Moons. During his fight against Gyutaro, he was able to fight evenly with the Upper Moon Six while protecting others at the same time, a feat made all the more impressive by the fact that he also had to fight off Daki as well during one point in the fight.
Natural Abilities: Edit
- Master Swordsman: Being a Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps, Tengen is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization.
- Echolocation: Tengen has shown to possess superhuman hearing similar to that of Zenitsu Agatsuma, just far more advanced. This ability allows him to easily hear noises deep underground, and he uses it to immediately figure out that there are underground tunnels and caves directly beneath him when he's looking for Tanjiro and Daki. He does this by analysing the sounds reflected and resonated through the air by the walls of the caverns, and accurately locates and is even able to guess the number of people inside the tunnels by listening to the sound bouncing from their physical bodies.
- Immense Strength: Tengen possesses great physical strength, as shown during his fight with Gyutaro and Daki. One example of this is his ability to use his blades with great proficiency while only holding them at the tip and with only two fingers, as well as being able to fight Gyutaro with only one hand after his left hand was cut off. In an arm-wrestling contest between pillars, Tengen is ranked second, with only Gyomei surpassing him. He was also able to knock out Inosuke and Zenitsu with a single strike each, though it was in a comical manner.
- Enhanced Speed: Tengen possesses great speed, as stated by Inosuke Hashibira. He is able to cut off Daki's head before she can even register his movements.
- Poison Resistance: As a shinobi, Tengen has been shown to possess high resistance to poison to the point where he could continue fighting while under the effects of a poison from Gyutaro that should have killed him instantly.
Fighting Techniques: Edit
- Unique Weapon: Befitting Tengen’s flamboyant personality, he carries an equally flamboyant set of weaponry. As his main weapons, he uses two larger-than-normal Nichirin Blades, which each have a notch in the sharp ends of their blades and are held together at the hilt by a metal chain. His swords are said to have large amounts of explosive power, and it is stated that, until Tengen's fight with Upper Moon Six, no one had ever survived a blow from them. He also carries bombs with him, and uses his sound abilities to make sure there is no collateral damage on humans when throwing them out of his line of sight.
Breath of Sound: A breath style unique only to Tengen. The Breath of Sound is branched off from the Breath of Thunder. Tengen has developed a unique battle formula called the "Score," which involves him reading his opponents movements and deconstructing them into sound. He can then analyse the rhythm of their movements, allowing him to take advantage of their openings to a much greater effect. In conjunction with this, he uses small but powerful anti-Demon bombs, made with a special gunpowder, which proved capable of overpowering even an Upper Moon Demon briefly.
- First Style: Thunder: Tengen lifts his twin swords above his head and slams them down with great force creating an explosion with his bombs, causing a loud sound resembling thunder.
- Second Style:
- Third Style:
- Fourth Style: Death Knells of Avīci: Tengen holds his swords apart and spins them rapidly in conjunction with releasing his bombs, making this technique a combination of offence and defence.
- Fifth Style: Symphony of Shrill Strings: Tengen holds one of his swords with a reverse grip, and spins the other using the chain that connects them. He couples this by also releasing numerous bombs to detonate. This technique was able to overpower an Upper Moon Demon.